Trichur was once the capital of the kingdom of Cochin. the town is found twelve miles (19 km) landlocked from the Arabian Sea. Its name means that "little holy place". Thrissur has related faculties with the University of Calicut, a deposit and a zoo. there's a Cultural Center, Kerala Kalamandalam, Kerala Sahithya Academy and Kerala Sangeetha Nataka Akademi. The Karuvannur River is the confluence of the two rivers Manali and Kurumali. The soil of Trichur and Thalapilli Taluk is mostly brick for laterite and construction purposes. The forest area is confined to the eastern region comprising Thalappilly, Mukundapuram and Trichur taluks. The region is spread over the Mukundapuram, Thrissur and Thalappilly taluks. The name of the place is derived from Thrissivapur. Since ancient times, the Thrissur region has played an important role in the Deccan region of India. It came under the rule of Raja Rama Varma who came to the throne in 1790 and consolidated power in Thrissur. .