Trichur was once the capital of the kingdom of Cochin. the town is found twelve miles (19 km) landlocked from the Arabian Sea. Its name means that "little holy place". The region around Thrissur is found on the dry land excluding the southeast, wherever the Western Ghats overlook the mountains. Palghat to the north, Malappuram districts to the east, Palghat to the east, Coimbatore district to Tamil Nadu, Idukki and Ernakulam districts to the south and the Arabian sea to the west. The other rivers in the district are Chalakkudy (144 km) and Karuvannur (48 km). The forest area is confined to the eastern region comprising Thalappilly, Mukundapuram and Trichur taluks. Common clays suitable for making bricks and tiles are found in many parts of the district. Total area under forest is 1036. The name of the place is derived from Thrissivapur. During the Sangam period, Thrissur was part of the Chera dynasty that ruled from the capital to the city of Wanchi. The Dutch and the English invaded the region to resist the Portuguese invasion. .